I had a hard time finding your character, Mary. Here’s why. When a network TV show is syndicated, it has to be made 1-3 minutes shorter to allow for more commercials. Today, networks use computers to speed the show up, so that it will fit in less time. But up until the 1980s, this wasn’t possible. Speeding up video without computer processing causes the characters to sound like Donald Duck. So networks cut the time out with scissors. You’ve probably already guessed that your character was cut out of her show in the interests of time. That’s why it took me so long to find her. Seeing through space and dimension is no problem for a man of my abilities. Seeing through space, dimension, and time is harder. But I got it. I really am the best at what I do.
Show: It was something like Doctor Johnson or Doctor Jefferson It was Doctor-something, at any rate. (late 1960s)
Genre: Medical Drama
Your Character: “Mom”
Actor: Sorry, no information available
Details: The uncut version of your episode was shown exactly once, on October 17, 1968. You played the mother of Dr. Something’s unrequited love interest, Nurse Blank. Nurse Blank had been in a car accident (or was shot), and you sat by her bed looking very worried. Your line was, “Will she be okay, Doctor?”
I understand if you are disappointed. But you are not alone. Many people have had their roles crushed by expanding commercial breaks. Famous "breakers" include marshal artist & TV star Chuck Norris, Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich.
No comments:
Post a Comment